When the 2012 Amgen Tour of California kicks off on Sunday, May 13, cycling fans will have the chance to see all of the excitement and action on NBC and NBC Sports Network. NBC Sports Network will provide live HD coverage of the race from May 13-19, including an exclusive preview show on Sunday, May 6, and daily highlights that will air on the network each night during the eight-day competition. Additionally, for the first time in race history, the 2012 Amgen Tour of California will air live for two hours on NBC for the final stage of the race on Sunday, May 20 at 10 a.m. PT. The final stage will re-air on NBC Sports Network at 3:30 p.m. PT.
The 2012 Amgen Tour of California will feature 16 of the world’s best teams battling it out over more than 750 miles of picturesque California highways, roadways and coastlines from May 13-20. Playing an even greater role on the international cycling calendar this year, the Amgen Tour of California will be the last race on U.S. soil before the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London.
“Our partnership with NBC is going raise the profile of the Amgen Tour of California to an even greater level this year,’ said Kristin Bachochin, Executive Director, Amgen Tour of California and Senior Vice President, AEG Sports. “The exposure and promotion that NBC and the NBC Sports Network will deliver for the 2012 Amgen Tour of California creates a national platform that will showcase America’s Greatest Race on the same level as other nationally and internationally prominent events and Olympic sports.”
In addition to the live broadcasts on NBC and NBC Sports Network, cycling fans will have the opportunity to following the race and have live updates at their fingertips via the RadioShack Tour Tracker, the official Tour Tracker platform of the race. The RadioShack Tour Tracker will deliver race coverage across web, mobile and tablet viewing platforms via live video, audio and real-time data streams of the event using the tested Tour Tracker technology, which has been used by more than 1 million viewers.
RADIOSHACK TOUR TRACKER UPGRADED FOR 2012
For the first time, the premier app used by cycling fans for up-to-the-minute, comprehensive information on the largest cycling competition in America can be downloaded free of charge for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices via iTunes and the Android store. Through this technology, race enthusiasts will not only be able to watch the competition unfold live throughout the eight days of the event, but will receive access to exclusive merchandise offers as well through a special barcode in the app.
The RadioShack Tour Tracker offers cycling fans the following features:
• Live coverage of the final two hours of the race each day
• Full start-to-finish coverage via GPS, race situation and up-to-minute text commentary throughout the race
• Video on demand clips of the race after each stage (new feature)
• Web DVR features such as stop and rewind on live coverage (new feature)
• Photo gallery of images from the race
• Maps and profiles with live location of the peloton, breaks and chase groups
• Current race situational information, including overalls standings, time gaps and what cyclists are in breaks and chases
• Stage overviews and information, including: maps, profile, distance, elevation
"Naturally, the Tour Tracker is one of the most popular features of the official race website, so we’re thrilled to be partnering once again with RadioShack to offer an enhanced experience for the 2012 Amgen Tour of California,” said Bachochin. “Following the world’s most elite cyclists as they travel through more than 750-miles of striking California terrain will be easier than ever with the RadioShack Tour Tracker, giving enthusiasts the opportunity to follow the race with the ease and convenience of a mobile phone or tablet app for free.”
The Amgen Tour of California continues to draw global attention as one of the most anticipated cycling events of the year – one that attracts Olympic medalists, World Champions and the top Tour de France competitors.
“The RadioShack Tour Tracker is a fantastic app that also builds awareness of RadioShack’s core mobility business — helping customers pick the right smartphone or tablet that’s the best match for their connected lifestyles,” says Paul Okimoto, vice president of marketing and media for RadioShack Corp. “This is a great opportunity to place the most exciting cycling event in North America in your hands, on demand, any time.”
to see what teams competing.
The 14 Host Cities for the 2012 Amgen Tour of California include:
• Stage 1, Presented by Rabobank: Sunday, May 13 – Santa Rosa
• Stage 2, Presented by Visit California: Monday, May 14 – San Francisco to Santa Cruz County
• Stage 3, Presented by Nissan: Tuesday, May 15 – San Jose to Livermore
• Stage 4, Presented by Amgen’s Breakaway from Cancer®: Wednesday, May 16 – Sonora to Clovis
• Stage 5, Presented by Rabobank : Thursday, May 17 – Bakersfield (Individual Time Trial)
• Stage 6, Presented by Visit California: Friday, May 18 – Palmdale to Big Bear Lake
• Stage 7, Presented by Nissan: Saturday, May 19 – Ontario to Mt. Baldy
• Stage 8, Presented by Amgen: Sunday, May 20 – Beverly Hills to Los Angeles/L.A. LIVE
For further information on the 2012 Amgen Tour of California, including specific broadcast times and information on the RadioShack Tour Tracker and, visit www.amgentourofcalifornia.com