RBA/AFP — Dutch cyclist Dylan Groenewegen (LottonL-Jumbo) won the first stage of the Dubai Tour on Tuesday, edging out Dane Magnus Cort Nielsen and Italian Elia Viviani to don the blue leader’s jersey.
Groenewegen pulled away from Cort Nielsen (Astana Pro) and Viviani (Quickstep-Floors) in the final sprint of stage one of the fifth Dubai Tour, a 167 kilometre (103.8 mile) ride across the Gulf city that ended on the manmade islands of Palm Jumeirah.
The second stage of the Dubai Tour starts on Wednesday, on 190 kilometers (118 miles) of flat road between Dubai and the neighbouring emirate of Ras al-Khaimah, a route that again will favour sprinters.
Results from the first stage of the Dubai Tour:
1. Dylan Groenewegen (NED/TLJ), 3hr 51min 25sec
2. Magnus Cort Nielsen (DAN/AST) s.t.
3. Elia Viviani (ITA/QST) s.t.
4. Alexander Kristoff (NOR/UAD) s.t.
5. Nacer Bouhanni (FRA/CDF) s.t.
1. Dylan Groenewegen (NED/TLJ) 3hr 51min 25sec
2. Magnus Cort Nielsen (DAN/AST) at 0:04
3. Elia Viviani (ITA/QST) 0:06
4. Nathan Van Hooydonck (BEL/BMC) 0:07
5. Alexander Kristoff (NOR/UAD) 0:10.