(Road Bike Action & AFP; Photo: Bettini)
Chris Froome on Monday announced that he would not compete as planned in the Tirreno-Adriatico stage race due to a lung infection.
“I am really disappointed, but I have to give priority to my health,” said the 2013 Tour de France winner. “After talking with my doctors we agreed it would be prudent to take some days off.”
The 29-year-old British cyclist had been due to go up against top Tour de France rivals Alberto Contador, Vincenzo Nibali and Natro Quintana in the week-long Italian race, which starts on Wednesday. But similar to last year, when he was hit with back pain, Froome has been forced to pull out. He said that he planned instead to return to action in the Tour of Catalonia in two weeks time.