The 2015 Amgen Tour of California kicked off Sunday with a 203km stage that started and finished in the city of Sacramento, California’s capital. A breakaway group of four riders form early on, and included William Clarke of the Drapac team, who ended up grabbing a large quantity of points in the sprint competition by taking three intermediate sprint sections.
Ultimately, the mostly flat stage ended in a fast, sprint finishing straight. And it was Etixx-Quick-Step’s Mark Cavendish who emerged victorious. Tinkoff-Saxo’s Peter Sagan grabbed second place, and BMC’s Jean-Pierre Drucker took third. Monday’s Stage 2 features a 193km route from Nevada City to Lodi and should come down to the sprinters again.
1. Mark Cavendish (GBR/Etixx) 4hr 43min 27secs
2. Peter Sagan (SVK/Tinkoff-Saxo) s.t.
3. Jean-Pierre Drucker (LUX/BMC) s.t.
4. John Murphy (USA/UnitedHealthcare) s.t.
5. Guillaume Boivin (CAN/Optum) s.t.
6. Zico Waeytens (BEL/Giant-Alpecin) s.t.
7. Wouter Wippert (NED/Drapac) s.t.
8. Tyler Farrar (USA/MTN-Qhubeka) s.t.
9. Koen de Kort (NED/Giant-Alpecin) s.t.
10. Danny van Poppel (NED/Trek) s.t.