Tweet of the Day: the WorldTour Reacts to UAE Tour Cancellation Due to Coronavirus

Froome,Warbasse and more give there take

The UAE Tour was abandoned Thursday after two Italian cyclists tested positive for the coronavirus, officials said, with teams and riders reported to be under lock down in their hotels.

“The remaining stages of the UAE Tour are cancelled after two cyclists from Italy tested positive for the new coronavirus,” said the Abu Dhabi Sports Council in a statement to the official WAM news agency.

Organizers said that all the participants in the race, that had been due to finish on Saturday, will be tested for the virus which has left Italy as the worst hit country in Europe.

Italy has seen 650 people infected and 17 deaths.

It’s a shame that the #UAETour has been cancelled but public health must come first,” tweeted British star Chris Froome, a four-time winner of the Tour de France.

“We are all awaiting testing and will remain at the hotel until further notice. I hope those affected make a speedy recovery and there aren’t any further cases #coronavirus.”

UAE Tour 2020 – 2nd Edition – 1st stage – Chris Froome (GBR – Team Ineos)

With the race abandoned, Briton Adam Yates, who led after five stages, was set to be declared the winner.

“The final two days of racing are cancelled due to concerns around Coronavirus,” tweeted Yates’s Mitchelton team.

“Riders and staff remain in the hotel and will be tested shortly, with their health taking priority. We hope anyone affected makes a fast recovery.”

The United Arab Emirates has so far recorded 13 cases of contamination from the virus.

 

 

RBA/AFP Photos: Bettini

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Comments are closed.