Mathew Hayman’s 2016 Paris-Roubaix win will be remembered for many reasons, one of them being that it was the first Roubaix won on an aero road bike.
Paris/Roubaix, France. The heart rates of most cycling fans will probably still rise when they think about last year’s edition of Paris-Roubaix. Hayman’s return from a broken radius to start his 15th Paris-Roubaix and beat the arguable best cobble classic rider of all time in a sprint still sounds more like a movie script than the reality of modern cycling and will be remembered as one of the greatest editions in the history of the race.
A special bike for a special rider- When Mat Hayman will ride his 16th Parix-Roubaix race this sunday, he`ll be on a one-of-a-kind Foil RC.
“We used to call it ‘New bike fever’ when I was growing up. That feeling when you get a new bike and you just have to ride it, even as a Pro after so many years a new bike is still something special and to get a personalized one is something I never even thought about,” said Hayman.
While many aero bikes earn a reputation for being overly stiff and harsh — Scott’s Foil proves that aero, pedaling efficiency and compliance can work very well together. In Paris-Roubaix, where the average speed is usually over 44km/h the aerodynamic advantage of the Foil might even have been the tip on the scale to win the most prestigious one day race in the world. That Scott’s Foil is much more than an aero bike for rough roads was proven by the Orica-Scott riders during the last two years. Countless wins by Caleb Ewan, Simon Gerrans and the rest of the team showed the cycling world that Scotts Foil is built for speed.Specs of Mat Hayman`s Special Edition Parix-Roubaix:
• Frameset: SCOTT Foil RC XL
• Stem: Integrated SCOTT Foil 130mm – 6°
• Handlebar: Syncros Compact 40
• Front brake: Shimano Dura-Ace direct-mount
• Rear brake: Shimano Dura-Ace direct-mount
• Brake levers: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2
• Front derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2
• Rear derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace Di2
• Crankset: SRM Shimano 11-speed, 53/44T
• Pedals: Shimano 9000 Dura-Ace
• Wheelset: Shimano C-35 tubular
• Tubulars: Continental Competition Pro LTD, 28mm
• Saddle: Syncros RR STD wide
• Seatpost: Syncros Foil
• Computer: SRM Power Control 8
Photography: Niall Bouzon